The Harvard Summer School offers multiple summer study abroad programs in the region every year. Please refer to the HSS website for a full listing. You can view a list of pre-approved non-Harvard summer study abroad programs at the OIE website. Funding for both sets of programs is available through the Office of Career Services.
Africa | Country Non-Specific
- CAS J-Term Grants: supports airfare and accommodations for focused research in Africa during the January term
- CAS Summer Grants: provides airfare and modest stipend for thesis research, internships, volunteer work or study abroad in Africa
- Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowships: Provides up to $5,000 towards program tuition, $2,500 stipend, and $1,000 travel allowance for summer language study
- Vogelheim Hansen Research and Travel Fund for Africa: Provides financial assistance to students undertaking significant international experiences in Africa. Apply via CARAT. Contact GSAS Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid Mohan Boodram for more detail.
- Princeton In Africa: Develops young leaders (recent graduates from North AMerican Universities) committed to Africa’s advancement by offering yearlong fellowship opportunities with a variety of organizations that work across the African continent.
- Botswana-Harvard AIDS Institute Partnership: Paid internship as part of a collaborative research and training initiative on the grounds of Princess Marina Hospital in Gaborone, Botswana. Preference given to rising juniors and seniors who have taken a course that included a wet lab or have a previous wet lab experience.
- Maru-a-Pula Summer Program: Provides full support for students working as tutors and mentors at the Maru-a-Pula School in Gaborone, Botswana
- Clinton Health Access Initiative (DGHI): Thirteen-week paid internship in Kigali, Rwanda as an analyst providing technical support for the various CHAI programs including developing quantitative models. Apply via CARAT.
- University of Global Health Equity (DGHI): Paid internship in Kigali, Rwanda to work with the Teaching and Learning team in developing, implementing and/or evaluating the key courses in the university’s flagship Master of Global Health Delivery degree. Apply via CARAT.
- Malaria Research at the University of Cheikh Anta Diop (I-SURGH): Funded field research intensive program with time split between a lab in Boston and field research in Dakar, Senegal. Requires Wet-lab research experience and proficiency in French language. Apply via CARAT.
- Lebone II Summer Program: Provides full support for students working as tutors and mentors at the Lebone II – College in Phokeng, South Africa
- Royal Bafokeng Sports Summer Program: Provides travel, expenses in situ, and room and board for students working with Royal Bafokeng Sports (RBS) on its royal Bafokeng NBA Development Program in Phokeng, South Africa
- African Academy for Public Health (I-SURGH): Paid internship in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania for students to work with a Harvard-affiliated Institution to address critical gaps in global health research training. Harvard faculty and international collaborators provide mentorship and research opportunities for students to engage in global health research in resource-poor settings. Apply via CARAT.
- Community Health Internship at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (I-SURGH): Paid internship in which students design and implement community improvement initiatives in Bugoye Health Center and Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital in Uganda. Apply via CARAT.
- AJ Meyer Summer Fellowships: $2,500 for full-time intensive summer programs in Arabic. Apply via CARAT.
- Arabian Peninsula Research Travel Grants: $1,500-$2,000 for Harvard students engaging in research January or summer research in the Arabian Peninsula (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Yemen, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman). Apply via CARAT.
- Henry Rosovsky J-Term & Summer Fellowships for Undergraduate Research in Israel: $2,000-$3,000 for January or summer research in Israel. Apply via CARAT.