The Harvard Summer School offers multiple summer study abroad programs in the region every year. Please refer to the HSS website for a full listing. You can view a list of pre-approved non-Harvard summer study abroad programs at the OIE website. Funding for both sets of programs is available through the Office of Career Services.
Africa | Country Non-Specific
- CAS J-Term Grants: supports airfare and accommodations for focused research in Africa during the January term
- CAS Summer Grants: provides airfare and modest stipend for thesis research, internships, volunteer work or study abroad in Africa
- Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Summer Fellowships: Provides up to $5,000 towards program tuition, $2,500 stipend, and $1,000 travel allowance for summer language study
- Vogelheim Hansen Research and Travel Fund for Africa: Provides financial assistance to students undertaking significant international experiences in Africa. Apply via CARAT. Contact GSAS Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid Mohan Boodram for more detail.
- Princeton In Africa: Develops young leaders (recent graduates from North American Universities) committed to Africa’s advancement by offering yearlong fellowship opportunities with a variety of organizations that work across the African continent.
- Maru-a-Pula Summer Program: Provides full support for students working as tutors and mentors at the Maru-a-Pula School in Gaborone, Botswana
- Jospong Internship Program: Provides full funding (travel & living expenses) for students undertaking internships at the Jospong Group of Companies
- University of Global Health Equity (DGHI): Paid internship in Kigali, Rwanda to work with the Teaching and Learning team in developing, implementing and/or evaluating the key courses in the university’s flagship Master of Global Health Delivery degree. Apply via CARAT.
- Kwon Laboratory, Durban: Provides funding for internship at lab researching immune responses against HIV.
- Lebone II Summer Program: Provides full support for students working as tutors and mentors at the Lebone II – College in Phokeng, South Africa
- Perinatal HIV Research Unit, Soweto: Funded internship consisting of HIV prevention research.
- Royal Bafokeng Sports Summer Program: Provides travel, expenses in situ, and room and board for students working with Royal Bafokeng Sports (RBS) on its royal Bafokeng NBA Development Program in Phokeng, South Africa
- Community Health Internship at Mbarara University of Science and Technology (I-SURGH): Paid internship in which students design and implement community improvement initiatives in Bugoye Health Center and Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital in Uganda. Apply via CARAT.
- AJ Meyer Summer Fellowships: $2,500 for full-time intensive summer programs in Arabic. Apply via CARAT.
- Arabian Peninsula Research Travel Grants: $1,500-$2,000 for Harvard students engaging in research January or summer research in the Arabian Peninsula (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Yemen, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman). Apply via CARAT.
- Henry Rosovsky J-Term & Summer Fellowships for Undergraduate Research in Israel: $2,000-$3,000 for January or summer research in Israel. Apply via CARAT.